Friday, June 26, 2020

C++ and its Creator

I've been reading and watching videos about C++ to start my new page about it and I wanted to begin with a background history. I noticed that we study the creation but not the creator of it. Maybe because he or she lived a long time ago, there is not enough information of them, or we already have so much to learn that the author becomes irrelevant or only deserves a footnote. But in computer science, we can find some big contributors of this field alive. 

The first time I realized it, was at the SVR 2019 conference, which I participated to present my paper. There was an international guest for the main lecture (also the first of the event). It was very interesting, funny, and the audience made relevant questions in the end. Then I searched for his work to know more, and I found a wikipedia page telling that he was the author of the Perlin Noise, which I heard about in my class of Image Processing. Then I remembered that Ed Catmul, of the Catmul splines, is also alive. The same happens to the creator of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup, and until 2018, at least, he stills lecturing about his main creation (or the one that made him famous). 

Maybe you really don't mind about the people, but for me, this brings the creation closer to me and makes me more curious and inspired. Because people are the ones that make changes. 

If you're interested too, here is a video of Bjarne talking about the creation of C++:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Global Game Jam 2024

Wow, what a weekend. The Global Game Jam is intense. But I and 3 other members manage to build a game for the theme "Make me laugh&quo...